Skip to main content

Welcome

 

New Guest

My name is Tom Volk, and I (still) caught the largest walleye in North Dakota at a whopping 16.59 pounds (16 lbs 9.4 ounces)! I wish the story could be that short, but as many know, it isn't. 

The largest walleye caught in North Dakota.

My 16.59 pound (or 16 pound 9 ounce) walleye was verified by Game and Fish to be the largest walleye caught in the state of North Dakota on April 21, 2019. It surpassed Neil Leier's walleye (the current state record at the time I caught my walleye) by nearly a pound. After my walleye was verified, Game and Fish opened an investigation on how my walleye was caught. They claimed that witnesses came forward and stated my walleye was "foul-hooked" which would be a violation of Game and Fish regulations and ultimately a crime. They conducted what they call an "investigation" and concluded my walleye was foul-hooked. They didn't charge me with a crime but mailed me a written warning for the possession of a "foul-hooked" fish. They did this even though there was no evidence showing where the hook was located at the time my walleye was caught and netted. Prior to their conclusion, I offered evidence to Game and Fish which included images, videos and even the walleye itself to prove my innocence and the fact my walleye was caught legally, but my evidence was refused by the investigator. The result was, I was "disqualified" to hold a record and my reputation was destroyed. 

If you are new to my story, the iHeartRadio podcast titled "Pulp Fishin'" is a MUST listen and sums things up really well: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-trickeration-63877804/episode/pulp-fishin-72747747/

Because Game and Fish refused my evidence when it was offered to them, I created this blog to provide it to the public and to request changes. My evidence could potentially prove these things: 
  1. My walleye was caught legally.
  2. Witnesses who spoke out against me lied to the investigator.
  3. Game and Fish violated my Due Process rights. 
  4. I suffered damages. 
Some key evidence to support my walleye was caught legally: 
  1. POST 6: The only official witness to speak out against my walleye did NOT see the hook in the fish, admitted he wasn't sure if it was "foul-hooked" and lied to the investigator about the walleye we had caught previously: https://youtu.be/DcUZMCUJN48 
  2. POST 24: A witness video documented how people were cheering when the walleye was caught, how witnesses expressed no concerns about how it was caught, witnesses and the person who netted the fish could be heard telling me to mount the walleye, and how the hook was not visible anywhere on the walleye when it was netted/caught and flopping in the net: https://youtu.be/SXPZfK-dcR8
  3. POST 20: Clips of my wife's video documented the exact time the walleye was netted/caught showing how the head remained upstream and how the hook was not visible when it was netted: https://youtu.be/gtqJLYUIgQ0
  4. POST 16: Video documenting the condition of the body of the walleye showing there was no hole or damage: https://youtu.be/2eBO8fLR-Eg
  5. POST 21: Video documenting the hole in the mouth of the walleye: https://youtu.be/MLUKjBundxw
  6. POST 27: The person who netted the fish provided an official statement about how the walleye fought "normal," had a "hole in the mouth" and that he had "no doubts." https://youtu.be/iYqA1AD5IQ0
  7. POST 28: Before Game and Fish made their "conclusion," I asked (begged) the investigator to review my evidence which included images, videos and even the walleye itself which he refused: https://youtu.be/3pGiEFcWGmA
Even though I adamantly believe my walleye was hooked and caught legally (and I could potentially prove this in a court of law if given the chance), this blog was created for one reason and one reason only, to advocate for changes - changes in the laws, protocols and procedures for the way investigations are handled and state records are verified. These requested changes are detailed in another post. 

My blog is organized by the dates and times events occurred with POST 1 being first. This blog will provide you with all of the facts and information surrounding the catch of my once-in-a-lifetime fish which includes recorded statements, images, videos and more. I will also provide the images from the taxidermist report along with his expert opinion as to where he believed the walleye was hooked.

Read my posts and go through all of the information (I know there is a lot, but I believe it is worth the read). Ask yourself, do you agree with what happened? Do you agree with the conclusion by Game and Fish even though they provided NO direct evidence as to where the hook was located at the time the walleye was caught and netted? Do you agree with the way Game and Fish conducted their investigation leaving out key witness statements? Do you agree with Game and Fish refusing to review all of the evidence which included the walleye itself? Do you agree with the way Game and Fish intentionally omitted information in their investigation report to mislead you? Do you agree with the false and misleading statements published by Game and Fish in their press releases and report? Do you agree with how Game and Fish made a legal determination without Due Process? Do you believe in criminal penalties for their violations? I will provide context to my questions throughout my blog proving, Game and Fish (and even witnesses) acted unethically and potentially illegally. 

Take care, and thanks again for your interest and time. 

#northdakotaslargestwalleye #volkswalleye #justiceforthelargestwalleye

Comments