Skip to main content

POST 17: April 23rd (9:08am) Bismarck Tribune - Investigation Announcement

Bismarck Tribune contacted me.

On April 23rd at 6:46am, the Bismarck Tribune contacted me and asked if I could talk about my walleye. I stated to the reporter I was hearing rumors of an investigation and Game and Fish wanted to reverify my walleye." I told the reporter I didn't want to speak until Game and Fish had completed this process. The reporter respected my decision and ended the conversation. 

This was the same language I later used with my taxidermist who requested I ship him the walleye as soon as possible. Here is a picture of that email to the taxidermist: 



My email to the taxidermist stated, "Game and Fish wants to verify the fish one last time. There are rumors that I foul-hooked it. I'm saving the fish for them to inspect. Once they are done, I'll contact you." 
I emailed the taxidermist and stated I was "saving the fish" for Game and Fish to inspect. I wanted them to inspect it. 

Bismarck Tribune contacted Game and Fish.

After hanging up with me, the Tribune reporter contacted Game and Fish. Here is an image of call notes provided by Game and Fish documenting this: 


The call notes stated this, "Travis - Bsmk Tribune. Talked to guy who caught it but he does not want to talk until it has been verified caught legally. Trans to Scott W." 

Game and Fish twisted words.

If you read the investigation report, Game and Fish published this statement, "On April 23, 2019 Winkelman received a telephone call from Travis Svlhovec, reporter from the Bismarck Tribune. Svlhovec stated that he was checking on the status of the state record walleye because he had contacted Volk and Volk told him he would not comment because Game and Fish was investigating the fish because there was a chance the fish was not hooked legally. Winkelman confirmed that there was an open investigation and no further comments would be made while the investigation was open." Below is an image from the Game and Fish investigation report where this was stated: 


I NEVER made the statement "there was a chance the fish was not hooked legally." These statements were made by a reporter and interpreted by the investigator. 
I maintained my stance the walleye was hooked legally the entire time and never once wavered from that stance. 

Bismarck Tribune confirmed an investigation.

After speaking with Game and Fish, the Tribune reporter contacted me again. The time was 9:08am. He stated he spoke with Game and Fish and confirmed they were investigating my walleye. The reporter asked if I would provide a comment. I declined. The reporter stated to contact him if anything changed. 





Changes

Why would Game and Fish twist words in their investigation report to make it sound like I said something I didn't? Better yet, why would they mislead you (or the State's Attorney) by making it sound like I stated something I didn't? 
It is a crime for a state agency to knowingly mislead in official, written communication. These actions by Game and Fish need to stop.
It should have been clarified in the report the statements made by the reporter were his own, not mine. 



#northdakotaslargestwalleye  #volkswalleye  #justiceforthelargestwalleye

Comments